Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Woah! They're supposed to warn me about things like that.

You know it's never good when your doctor comes in to see you and says that. That is what the urgent care doctor said when he came into the room last Saturday to look at my wrist. I had gone for a bike trip up American Fork canyon that morning and crashed, going over my handle bars and landing on my wrist. I couldn't even grip my water bottle, so I had to hike down the rest of the trail to where it met the road and the other guys I was with picked me up. I was having a blast up until that point. Now my only thought was if I would be able to heal before a triathlon that Mari and I had signed up for. As it turned out, my wrist was broken. The secretary of the urgent care doctor called yesterday with an appointment for me to see an orthopedic surgeon on Friday. The dumb thing about that is that my arm is sitting in a sling and is just sitting here all mis-shapen and painful. Thanks to Marja, who called almost every orthopedic guy in Utah, I was able to go and see a doctor yesterday in Provo. He looked at the x-rays and said I have a Smith's fracture, which means he will have to perform surgery to put a metal plate in my arm to hold the bone in place as it heals.You can see how the radius bone in my arm doesn't line up with the bones in my hand. So, it's on to surgery on Wednesday. I was going to ask the doctor, while h is in there to add some retracting blades while he was at it, but I don't think that would be covered by our insurance.

Mari has been so wonderful at picking up the pieces because I can't do anything with my right hand now. I feel the worst for her because this really puts a lot of pressure on her. Hopefully, after surgery, I will be able to figure out how to do more to help her out.

No comments: