Sunday, September 27, 2009

6:20 am

So Tuesday morning I'm on my way to work. Just another normal day. I'm half awake heading to the freeway for my usual 1/2 hour drive. After I get on the freeway, I get to about American Fork and I start feeling this pressure and pain in my side. At first I'm thinking, 'What did I eat for breakfast?' and then it hits me. I'm at Lehi now and I'm enough pain in my right side and my lower back to know something is not right. I call Mari and as I'm groaning trying to keep my breathing say, 'What does . . . argh . . . it feel like . . . ughr . . . when you . . . rrrgh . . . pass a kidney stone?'. Seeing as she has had multiple experiences like this in the past, I figured she would know. 'What?' she asks (too tired to comprehend my gruntings). I'm thinking to myself, 'If I can just make it to Murray High', but then my next thought was, 'What am I going to do, lie on the floor and wait for my students to come in?' Marja helps me realize that this is ridiculous, and warns me that people can pass out. So I got off the freeway and headed home. Of course, I wasn't thinking strait and instead of turning left and getting right back on the road to go south, I take the Alpine Highway, which is littered with stop lights and slow traffic. So I made it home with only minimal yelling at slow drivers in front of me and went to the doctor later that day. Not much to do with passing a kindey stone except take some pain medication and wait for it to pass. I spent the next two days (which happened to be parent teacher conference days) floating through the halls and my class. I only hope that it wasn't too noticeable for any parents that came to visit. I'm feeling fine now, but thought it was kind of funny I was still trying to find a way to make it to work, even though I couldn't talk strait. Sounds like someone needs some therapy.

2 comments:

Yo said...

I am so sorry. I've never had a kidney stone but I've heard stories about how excruciating the pain is - hope you are feeling better:)

Jana said...

I have heard that having a kidney stone is worse then having a baby. I am so glad that nothing happened on the drive to school. Great picture!