Saturday, May 14, 2011

Moving Day....FINALLY!!!!

Yesterday was finally moving day for our lovely chickens. For those of you that didn't know we got 8 chickens a few weeks before Easter. Each girl has two that are theirs. Aspen's are Peep and Rosie, Bela's are Daisy and Sunny, Elise's are Sarah and Sweetie and Violet's are Blackie and Brownie. (I bet you can guess what colors hers are!) We have had so much fun with them!!
We taught them to climb into our hand when we put it out. When they were little they would even fall asleep. They've had to be inside for the first 5 weeks because of the cold and safety.

As they got older though we would take them outside to get used to the dirt and grass. We discovered that they didn't like the grass at all. They were too light and would float and sink as they tried to walk. You can see from this picture that they got nervous and all climbed onto my leg. The last two were trying to push their way up too.
After much stinking and knocking over their food we finally got to move them outside yesterday! Hurray!! (Seriously, people would come into the house and wonder why we were so smelly.) Paul and I built their coop and moved into into place just in time. They LOVE being outside! Here are the girls showing them where their new home is, and the coop from the yard. Welcome home chicks!

5 comments:

Lloyd Family said...

That is just so cool! Sounds like a great experience for all the girls and I love the chicken coop! Sooo cute!

Cathy

Yo said...

That's awesome - yay for fresh eggs!!! Nice job on the chicken coop too:)

Lannie said...

Well, I may not have the gentle handling down yet, but I love watching the chickens. Their house is perfect. Their "yard" is perfect. You and Paul are amazing. And, the girls are excellent chicken parents. I love that the chicks are part of the family and aren't "chicken" to be around people. Their feet are HUGE, so you are going to have real fryers if they grow into their feet. It won't be long and they will be able to take on any cat. Can't wait to get some eggs. Not too long now, and it will pay back time for those hens.

Reynolds said...

What brave parents to give your girls such a neat, but messy and smelly, life experience.

Lisa Mane said...

Real Fryers? Grandma what are you saying!!
Any more updates on how those chicks are doing? I had a dream that I helped you put in chicken wire as a ceiling to keep the hawks and flying predators out. Interesting idea, huh?