
It's time I have shared this on my personal blog. I have found the most FABULOUS piano teaching curriculum out there! It's called Let's Play Music and based off of extensive research that shows that a child's optimum learning window for music is ages 3-8. Unfortunately, as most of us know most piano teachers won't teach kids younger than about 7 or 8. Finger dexterity is not developed, comprehension of letters and notes is premature and not many kids younger than 7 or 8 find it very fun to learn one on one with a teacher while sitting still at a piano. So, Let's Play Music starts with 4 -5 year olds and teaches the piano over three years of group lessons that is all about play. Little do these kids know that while they are playing, singing and dancing they are learning very tricky music theory, notation, rhythm, and piano skills.
I seriously could go on FOREVER about how converted I am to this program. This is just my first year teaching, but to give you an idea right now in our classes we are learning 16th notes, 8th notes, quarter notes and half notes. These kids are 4 and 5 and totally comprehend all of these rhythms. It is amazing! Anyway, I just got approved to teach a sister class to Let's Play Music called Sound Beginnings. It is for 2-4 year olds and uses the same teaching techniques and strategies to teach music concepts and pre-K/Kindergarten concepts as well. You can learn more about it here. And if you ever want to visit my Let's Play Music webpage you're welcome any time!
5 comments:
I am so excited for you to have something you are so inspired by! Woot woot woot!! Love you Tons
Woot woot! We'll be ready for Dean to start here in not too long. Yay!
Woot Woot!! How exciting it is to be passionate about something so fun and fulfilling :)
I do want to know more! I have just been thinking about what to do with my kids. Hannah LOVES piano and does really well with the traditional teacher... the others not as much and I still want them to learn music without the headache of "making" them do piano... I think you are about to save my day with this little jem. WOOT WOOT!
Woot! Woot! That sounds great and you are perfect for it!
Post a Comment