Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Killer Apprehended!

We had a tragic incident at our house last Saturday. Brownie, our Plymouth Rock chicken, was killed. It was a gruesome sight with her body still intact while her head was mangled and gnawed on. (Luckily no pictures of that.) One of our Rhode Island Reds, Sweetie, was injured in the event. She looks pretty haggard, but seems to be fine. She just has one tail feather left.
We have a neighbor with chickens also who said that three of her chickens were killed the previous nights too. So, we had to do something. We got a trap from the city, expecting to catch a mean, vicious cat. We set it out last night with a tantalizing open can of tuna. This morning when we opened the blinds we found that our killer was captured. However, it was not a cat after all.
Oh mister raccoon, you are so cute and yet a nasty mean thing. I can understand if the poor guy is hungry and found a contained snack just waiting for him, but he didn't even eat the chicken. Enough...away with you. I told my kids that the city will pick him up and send him to Asia by way of euthanasia.
The funniest part of this was that all of the chickens were lined up against the fence just watching him. You can see the cage against the red fence on the right of the picture. I think the hens were wondering if he was in there for good. They were keeping an eye on him.

5 comments:

Jen said...

i'm sooo glad! hopefully no more chickens will be massacred! i hope bela is okay. :(

Lannie said...

Oh, Mari, you are right: He is cute! By way of Asia...you are so funny. I am so glad you got him, but I wonder if he has relatives? The chickens are so awesome. Thank you for your efforts to keep them safe. If it snows, as it is supposed to, maybe all racoons will stay in their houses for the rest of the winter. You are amazing. And, loved. MOM

Lisa Mane said...

next time I am there we can consider making a 'roof' so it is harder for your killers to get it. I mean, a caged, waiting, adorable dinner is pretty tempting.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

We can empathize! A fox decimated our entire flock in a single night two summers ago. We woke up to an eerie few drops of blood, a couple feathers, and no chickens! I hope your girls weren't too traumatized by mama nature at her creulest!