Sunday, May 24, 2009

Aquilegia Caerulea

That is the botanical name for this flower. Its common name is actually columbine. It is really a tragedy that such a beautiful flower makes you think of the horrific event when you hear its name. This flower is native to Utah and is the most beautiful flower that I have seen. Usually I think of Utah plants and flowers as gangly and sparse, but clearly that is not the case. A few months ago Paul bartered store credit for a web page with a guy that owns a nursery that only sells native Utah plants. We were wanting to put some plants in an area in the yard that we call the jungle, so we went in and started picking things based on the recommendations of this owner. When these columbine started blooming I couldn't believe what I saw! They are so peculiar and beautiful. Unfortunately my picture is from the tail end of their blooming season, so its not quite as vibrant as the real life specimen. Who knew? I guess its just one more reason to love this fabulous state!

2 comments:

Jana said...

In a recent meeting our General Young Women leader was talking about picking a flower that represented her - in her youth. If I were to pick a flower that was representative of our family I think Columbine would be in the top 10. They are delicate, beautiful and are so strong. I cannot wait to got to your house and steal some ..... Love you - the picture is beautiful.

Lisa Mane said...

Columbine are some of my favorites and come in a ton of colors also. I wish I were close enough to some steal some of yours (go Jana). The picture is lovely and I am so glad you have some in your yard. Your house is great! Love you, Lis