
Hello out there to all of you! I had to have a picture for proof because mostly likely none of you would believe this otherwise. Normally at our house Saturday is spent cleaning, going to the girls' soccer games, mowing the lawn, etc. This Saturday was a different one. Everyone has heard of the Iron Man triathlon, right? Well, today I participated in a triathlon. That's right ladies and gentlemen, I am now a triathlete. This is no Iron Man however. I've been joking with the ladies that I've been training with that compared to the Iron Man this is just the Marshmallow Man. It was a novice triathlon with very small numbers for each event, but was a fabulous motivator for me as well as a great introduction into the triathlon world. Here is a picture before the race of me and my cohorts. We took a photo after the race that I'll post when I get it. We decided to do this in June and have been training M-F since then. Its been so fun! I was surprised to find that the event that I felt strongest with (running) was the hardest (perhaps because it was last?) and the biking, which I was most concerned about, was easier than I expected. It did help to see that the people whizzing past me on the bike ended up walking theirs up the monstrous hill that I managed to ride all the way up. The swimming was different than I expected too. I've been training in the morning before the sun comes up and this race was later which meant that the sun was shining straight into my face since I prefer the backstroke. It did throw me off a bit, but all was well and I didn't even knock my head into anything. As glad as I am to have this event under my belt I will be sad to be done. In case you're thinking that you must not know me anymore for me to be doing something like this, don't fret. I am still the same Marja because I came home from the triathlon today, ate two brownies and then took a nap. Same girl, just with a little permanent marker on the arm and leg, and maybe a little more confidence if ever I were to need to run from a mugger. We (the ladies and I) have already been talking about what's next on the list. Maybe a 5K? I'll keep you posted.
2 comments:
Marja, you're awesome!!! I have always wanted to do a triathalon, but get a little freaked out about the running in a bathing suit part...
Way to go Marj!! Dana and I completed our first triathlon in 2007 and loved it. Last year we did the spudman up in Idaho which was hard but we did it! Such a great feeling to finish one of these. Any plans to do more this year??
Post a Comment